DIRECTORATE OF COMMERCE INDUSTRY AND TRADE
Directorate of Commerce and Industry has a special division of Investments Development and Promotion that looks at ways of attracting investments in the City with particular attention being given to SMEs and the informal sector. This Directorate is responsible for the management of the Assembly’s buildings, markets, workshops (i.e. Mchesi workshops), Rest House, Chidzanja House, Wenela complex, Town Hall and Community Centre Ground. On another note the Directorate is working on possible engagement of the private sector to come in and invest in the construction of workshops for SMEs (such as the government project at Mchesi- for carpenters and welders) and assist in the rehabilitation and construction of our various markets across the city.
Mission Statement; To create a conducive environment for the growth and development of trade and industry in the Assembly.
Vision Statement; Lilongwe will offer residents and businesses quality and reliable infrastructure, services and facilities within a well-planned city.
The Lilongwe City Assembly will lead and govern within the context of an enabling participatory environment to ensure a shared future.
Programs and Activities Undertaken by the Directorate
(A) Inspectorate and Licensing Division
- Issuing and the Management of Business Licenses.
- The Inspection of business standards.
- The Lilongwe City is divided into three regions (Northern, Central and Southern) for the management of the business function. A local office is found in each region.
(B) Investments Development and Promotion Division
- Promotion and facilitation of business and industrial development
- Provision of entrepreneurship development services
- Dissemination of appropriate technologies for small scale industries
- Promotion of cooperation societies
(C) Commercial Management Division
- Management of commercial estates
- Development of market centers
- Management of commercial assets
Last Updated on Friday, 19 December 2014 07:36